What if police won't come to your car crash?

Imagine you just got into a car accident. You're worried about the damage to your vehicle and the crick in your neck. The other driver was at fault, and you want to make sure that you can recover financial compensation relating to your injuries and property damages.

The problem is, police say they aren't available to tend to the accident scene.

Reasons why law enforcement choose not to come to an accident

The police may have the right to refuse service to your accident scene, especially if it appears that your property damage is minimal and your injuries are minimal. This will likely be a judgment call made by the police dispatcher and officers on duty. The decision will be based on the current emergencies that authorities are already tending to.

If you are worried about your injuries and property damages and want to make sure police document them, it's vital to make the police dispatcher or 911 operator aware of the situation. Be honest and don't exaggerate your situation while letting police know what your concerns are. Authorities will then make the best decision they can about coming to attend to your accident scene.

If police decide not to come despite your request

If a disaster or other emergency is happening at the time of your crash, police might ultimately decide not to come. If this happens, it's vital for your ability to recover compensation that you take detailed notes of everything that happened.

Get contact information from all eyewitnesses. Get contact information, driver's license numbers, insurance information, license plate numbers and vehicle registration numbers for all drivers that were involved in the crash. Also, get contact information for all adult passengers involved in the accident and write down the names of any children and whom they belong to. Finally, be sure to take pictures of the accident scene, any injuries you suffered and any property damages.

Always call the police no matter how serious the collision

No matter how serious your car accident, you should always call police so they can assess damages, injuries and fault. The police report can also be used to prove your case when you seek the full and fair compensation to which you are entitled.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Submit Email Now

How Can We Help? Email Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Dodds, Kidd, Ryan & Rowan
313 West Second Street
Little Rock, AR 72201

Toll Free: 877-885-8839
Phone: 501-386-9508
Fax: 501-376-0387
Little Rock Law Office Map