If you're injured in a motor vehicle accident, your immediate attention should turn to your health and the steps you can take to make a full recovery. As time allows, you also need to contact your car insurance company to file a claim.
With so much going on in your life, it's easy to make mistakes when filing a claim. Some of the things you want to avoid include:
- Giving a recorded statement: After an accident, your agent may ask if they can record all conversations they have with you. Politely decline, as you don't want to say something that will harm your ability to receive the compensation due to you. Just the same, avoid giving a written statement.
- Don't sign anything: This is a common mistake that you can easily make if you're not paying attention to what you're doing. If you're asked to sign something, review it in great detail to ensure that you understand exactly what it is.
- Don't accept the first offer: Your car insurance company would love for you to accept less than what's actually owed to you. If you make this mistake, you may not have any course of action for obtaining the compensation you're entitled to.
- Don't ignore time limits: Even though you're injured, you only have so much time to file a car insurance claim. If you're unable to do this on your own or require assistance, ask a loved one to step in.
- Neglecting to review your policy: It's critical to understand the details of your policy, including how much coverage you have. This makes it much easier to protect your legal rights in Arkansas, as you know what you're entitled to.
It's easy to fall into the trap of letting your car insurance agent guide you through the claims process. While it's okay to rely on this person for guidance, don't put all of your trust in them. Remember, they don't work for you. They work for the insurance company. They'll do whatever they can to save money, even if it means you receive less.
A car accident is a scary time in your life. Take the right steps when filing a car insurance claim, as the compensation you receive can make life easier on you.
Visit our website for more information on car insurance claims, car accidents and how to protect yourself.